Next to St. Paul's church, a hospital dedicated to St. Giles (the patron saint of cripples and lepers) existed from 1181. It was originally for the care of lepers and then for the sick of Chester until it was destroyed during the English Civil War. The graveyard can still be seen at The Mount. For this reason St. Paul's has always supported the work of the Leprosy Mission